Here is a handy way to help stay on track when impulsive behaviors or thoughts crop up.
If you’re going through your day and you’re feeling an urge to skip a workout, eat a doughnut (or other sugary delicious treat), or partake in some other ill-advised behavior use the activity below.
First, stop. Take a minute before making any decision that feels impulsive and check in on your goals.
To do this you’ll need to carry around your goals on a piece of paper in your pocket, on an app on your phone, or something similar and then review them every time you’re feeling unsure about a decision. (I keep mine on Evernote so every time I look at my to-do lists I see my goals.)
Read your goals and then ask yourself:
- What do I want to do right now?
- What do I ultimately want to achieve?
- Do those two things align?
- Am I willing to sacrifice my values and goals for what I want right now?
- Could I wait a little bit and then reconsider?
These questions will help you decide whether your impulsive thought is a good or bad idea.
Try it out.